Saturday, January 26, 2013

Getting From Here to There


In February I reach a milestone I didn’t think would ever come. I become full Social Security age, old double six. Back in the late ‘60’s I remember how far away my “there” seemed (it was 65 in those days). Now my “there” has managed to come and I’ve given thought to some of the ideas that seemed to work for me. Hopefully, some of you in the “here” can fit them in your own way and help to achieve your future financial goals.

1. Find work you enjoy. Confucius said, “Find a job you enjoy and you’ll never work a day in your life.” While any work has its frustrations and bad moments, doing something you enjoy and that is meaningful to you, makes those trials worth it. Over the last half of my life my work has been more like a hobby than work, a true blessing.

2. Pay yourself second. I know. I know. All the books say pay yourself first. As a conservative Christian I feel my first responsibility is to support the local church I’ve chosen to join and also their worldwide ministries. Then pay yourself. Early in my career I was introduced to a pamphlet, “The Richest Man in Babylon.” He became rich by setting aside ten percent of all his growth to take care of his future.

3. Stop and smell the coffee. Many financial plans fail because people forget to also enjoy themselves along the way. In elementary school I remember the old axiom “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” All saving and no enjoyment of our labor eventually frustrates us and we end by throwing up our hands and giving up. Take time to enjoy the journey from “here” to “there.”

4. Understand adjustments must happen. Plans seldom happen exactly the way we set them. We must be flexible. My original plan included retiring from Prudential at age 60, I left the company at age 52. Things needed to be adjusted. Incomes change, families change, obligations change, and we must change with them.

5. Pay it forward. Never get so focused on the plan that it becomes all about you. One of life’s greatest purposes is in helping and meeting the needs of others. Some of my fondest moments were on the board of USD 465, trying to improve education of our children. The eternal law of sowing and reaping always works, its eternal. You can never give more than you’ll get back. Often the payment is in the satisfaction in seeing the results of being generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment