Monday, January 21, 2013

Mentoring: A Key to Success


Insurance executive Alfred E.N. Gray wrote and delivered an excellent speech he called “The Common Denominator of Success.” Mr. Gray stated that successful people “form the habit of doing the things failures won’t do.” It isn’t that they wanted to do the things either, they just did them. I agree with Mr. Gray’s proposition, but think success can be further enhanced by the use of mentors. Mentors put the practical touch on a task at hand by giving directions, demonstrating method, observing, and giving prompt feedback.

I was fortunate to have several mentors in my business and personal life. These individuals took time and spent much energy in enhancing my opportunity for success. My first sales manager, Jim Cinotto, took me to my agency in Northwest Wichita and modeled the behavior he expected from an agent. He showed me how to sell, but taught me a far more important life lesson. During an interview a lady asked a question, and Jim without hesitating said, “I don’t know, but I’ll find out.” As a 23 year veteran I thought he knew everything, but he showed the maturity to not bluff his way, but get a correct answer.

Years later, when I wrote a book one of the chapters was titled “I Don’t Know, but I’ll Find Out.” I sent Jim a copy of the book and he called me one evening. He didn’t remember the incident, but told me he was,” just doing his job.” He said I had repaid him. When I asked how I had repaid him, he said by doing the same thing for other young people. I was now aware that it is not only important to have a mentor, but also to be one. Life has many cycles and I believe one of them is helping and being helped. Our organizations, small or large, become strong and remain strong by the use of mentors. Mentors shorten the time needed for a task and increase the human resource value of our companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment